Established on June 8, 1993, the Cabarrus Genealogy Society grew out 1992's year-long Cabarrus Bicentennial Celebration. In November 2017, CGS merged with Historic Cabarrus Association, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that also benefits the historic interests of Cabarrus County, NC. The Cabarrus Genealogy Society, Inc. is a subsidiary of Historic Cabarrus Association, Inc. and is supported through membership, publication sales, grants, and donations.
- To generate interest in and raise the standards of genealogical research and compilation in Cabarrus County by means of educational programs and workshops, and publication and preservation of materials of genealogical and historical value.
- To instill in members and county citizens a pride in their families' genealogical data and encourage and instruct members in the practice of genealogical research.
- To serve as a medium of exchange of genealogical information.
- To promote the collection, preservation, and utilization of manuscripts, documents and other materials of genealogical value.
- To publish books, journals, newsletters and other genealogical materials.